1. Slice up a big mess of carrots into rounds.
2. Make a vinaigrette:
- Microwave equal-ish amounts (1/2 c? 3/4 c?) of honey and soy sauce, so that the honey can be combined with the soy using a little whisk.
- Add vinegar--this time I sloshed in a little rice wine vinegar, Riesling vinegar, and cider vinegar.
- Grate in garlic (I used maybe 3-4 cloves) and a couple inches of ginger with a fine grater.
- I added the juice of a tangerine. I've also added lemon, lime, grapefruit.
- Add a little salt, and more pepper.
3. Throw a big pile of sunflower seeds in the oven on a baking sheet (or toaster oven, as I did here). Toast them until they are brown, with lots of kosher salt. Don't overcook! Easy to do that.
4. MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER: the seeds, the vinaigrette, the carrots. This salad has a great lifespan in the fridge, due to the sturdiness of the carrots. It has a nice sweet, tangy, salty satisfaction to it and great CHEW. Yay!