Monday, April 11, 2011

karottensalat!

In classic--nay, clichéd--culinary fashion, I invented this recipe with no time, no money, and very little in my pantry to inspire me, but I liked it so much after that first time that I have kept making it since. Here 'tis.

1. Slice up a big mess of carrots into rounds.

2. Make a vinaigrette:
  • Microwave equal-ish amounts (1/2 c? 3/4 c?) of honey and soy sauce, so that the honey can be combined with the soy using a little whisk.
  • Add vinegar--this time I sloshed in a little rice wine vinegar, Riesling vinegar, and cider vinegar.
  • Grate in garlic (I used maybe 3-4 cloves) and a couple inches of ginger with a fine grater.
  • I added the juice of a tangerine. I've also added lemon, lime, grapefruit.
  • Add a little salt, and more pepper.
The vinaigrette is rather too sweet for straight consumption, but it will work well in this salad.

3. Throw a big pile of sunflower seeds in the oven on a baking sheet (or toaster oven, as I did here). Toast them until they are brown, with lots of kosher salt. Don't overcook! Easy to do that.

4. MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER: the seeds, the vinaigrette, the carrots. This salad has a great lifespan in the fridge, due to the sturdiness of the carrots. It has a nice sweet, tangy, salty satisfaction to it and great CHEW. Yay!

1 comment:

Demandra said...

You come up with some of the most beeeezare things. One of these days, I'm just gonna have to try it. Also? How is it possible for one person toh ave so many different types of vinegar?