Monday, April 05, 2010

shiny happy people

I'm not sure this will hold up in court, but I really like People of Walmart--in a happy way. I don't pay much attention to the captions, which are unkind and sneering, and I guess supposed to be the POV of this project.

The photos, though, are a wonderful record. People are so hilarious, odd, weird, misguided, colorful. It's no fun to see hateful slogans on t-shirts, but other than that I never feel anything but kinda happy to see what people put on their bodies and do to their hair in this life before they go to Wal-Mart. It's sweet. Being a consumer is a freakin full-time job in America--we are seeing people in the middle of their lives.

I guess there's no way around the fact that this site is mean, and that the photos are by and large taken with a desire to laugh at people, not with them, but really: how fuckin great is this country. This is what we look like.

2 comments:

Demandra said...

Dude, this is beautiful. <3

Elizabeth M. Tamny said...

Thank you! :)