Tuesday, November 14, 2006

QV that last post

More Chicago sentimentality: I got a great-lookin book at work recently called Service and Style: How the American Department Store Fashioned the Middle Class. It'd normally be right up my alley, but now I can barely stand to look at the photos because every other one is of Marshall Field's! Not to mention every other paragraph. Breaks my heart. I was all prepared to be overly sentimental about the department stores I got flashes of in my youth--Robertson's in South Bend, Indiana, for instance, but this Field's wound--how long before it goes away?? How long before the sight of MF green or a dashing brush-script font or The Clock doesn't make me a lil choked up?? Wah! I hope they bring it back. Macy's (as a coworker said) doesn't deserve the Tiffany Dome. It's like trying to rename corn or George Washington: it's either Marshall Field's or it isn't. Can't rename it. Go somewhere else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI, Elizabeth,
Thought you might like to know that the author of Service and Style, Jan Whitaker, will discuss and sign copies of the book Monday evening, Nov. 20 (7 p.m.) at 57th Street Books in Chicago. Hope you'll spread the word!
Like your blog.