Monday, August 06, 2007

I don't believe in revenge, myself, not in any conscious way, at least (interesting idea, that; the revenge one exacts without admitting it, but anyhow)--just not built for it. I'm not 100% sure the concept of karma takes the place of revenge, but I do know that there exists...redress. Because Einstein said so. That's how the universe works.

Despite all that, one of my favorite quotes of friend Ali's during one of our many discussions about this is: "Revenge is the Lord's business...and SOMETIMES IT'S GOOD TO BE THE LORD." I don't believe it, but it makes me giggle and grateful for the urge that friends have to kick people's asses on my behalf. And vice versa. Kick kick kick. At the moment in my imagination those are firmly-placed kicks made by pudgy round legs ending in shiny pastel patent-leather Mary Janes. Kickkickkickkickkickkick.

Lead
them [our enemies] and us from prejudice to truth; deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you...

No comments: