Monday, July 30, 2007

1. I got in the shower with my glasses on this weekend. This indicates...something.

2. Do you think perhaps that in the "Gotta Dance" sequence of Singin in the Rain--when GK is knocking on doors--it is significant that he finally gets a response--the third time--when he...sets down his suitcase? Eh? Eh? There's a little convincing, Ohprah-y interpretation for ye. There is always something new when I watch that movie. This time, among others: 1) I officially love Cyd Charisse's Green Outfit, despite the ways it's dated badly in its conception, including the fringe--I am newly in love with the armbands and 2) I must someday put out a beat-box version of just the tap in the "Singin in the Rain" sequence. It's SO hooky and syncopated. As hooky and recognizable as the song itself, with that huge down beat.

3. Finally saw The History Boys this weekend. Moments of sheer, agile brilliance, and I thoroughly enjoyed the conflicts it set in motion, even the more obvious (?) boying one. Ehhh...I dunno, it was a little less convincing than the battle for the life of the mind going on, but somehow--this is what seemed different than many contemporary films--it seemed genuinely less important than the other conflict, rather than badly realized. Not sure though. And the ending...such an unnecessary frame. Hate sappy unnecessary nostalgic narrative frames. I call this the Cinema Paradiso phenomenon.

But there were moments that stirred me thoroughly, including (this is very unflattering) being very excited to immediately recognize "MCMXIV," even though it's *not* one of my favorite Larkin poems, or all the movie scenes (I am such a middle-class English gay man), and I thought the central big professor/new professor conflict...was bizarrely relevant to my life last week, among other pleasures.

4. I fluffed my quotation list a little bit again this weekend. I have pondered many times posting it here, but there really is no point/no room. And I am constantly adding to it--for almost ten years now. Suffice it to say, it's what I'd save if there was a fire in my brain in the middle of the night and I had to hurriedly pack and get out.

No comments: