Monday, January 29, 2007

Technicolor yawn

Not every Beck song is good. NOT EVERY BECK SONG IS GOOD.

I feel like shit. Flu. *@#&$(&;^#(*&$%)(*& asscrap.

So what do you do when you're up late with chills, fever & nausea? (I just spelled that "nauseau," which has an entirely different feel--nomenclature for a particularly barf-inducing variety of hand-held cinema verite, maybe.) Watch the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, of course. Then the abridged 2-hr (!) Julie Taymor version of the Magic Flute that I've been waiting to see, about which I have nothing intelligent to say at the moment except that Cherbourg seemed more honest. My mom called it the "McMagic Flute" and I think she's right. The staging didn't seem to particularly respect the fact that people were singing. It was more a musical version of an opera than a Taymor version of an opera, it felt like. Must see when I'm not urpy and cranky.

(From the PBS description of the program: "...sung in English by an attractive young cast..." Unh-huh.)

- - - - - - -

Up late bored and chatting with a very polite young man from Madrid last week. Two sentences he carefully typed that really cracked me up:

* "The nickname stucked."
* "...those such that an Emo would wear." (about his new glasses)

- - - - - - -

Okay, gotta crack my mistress of the obvious whip and note that Ricky Gervais is just a genius for pushing shit so far, for being so horrible, so smarmy and grasping and insecure and sweaty and horrid. It's all in the delivery, though. When you look at David Brent quotes they don't have the same ability to make me bark out loud that just watching him does. Gareth's do, though:

"I've just got a complaint from a very important client saying that the figures I gave him were wrong, and . . . yeah, well, basically I've checked all other possibilities and it's come down to the calculator. Well, I don't know, circuitry?"

- - - - - - - -

Live at the Apollo is always and forever great, but I am still a sucker for Sex Machine, Live in Augusta, GA. Think it's as good.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

preach! Yes not every beck song is good. I get sick of hearing how he's the second coming and savior to modern music. that whole rolling stone disaffected genius moodily staring into camera. i have never heard rock critics as a group quiet to a hushed whisper when they talk about Odelay, but there you have it.

Sing it sister! NOT EVERY BECK SONG IS GOOD>

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth M. Tamny said...

The thing is...I DO like some of them. Many of them. When I wrote that, though, I was listening to a few that were just total ass and that's all I could think. It was intense. And not really a diss, as such. More just...yelling.

yeah, nobody's the savior, though