Friday, January 19, 2007

Always with the obvious

A few months ago an internet friend sent me a link to a Caetano Veloso's performance of "Cucurrucucu Paloma" in the Almodovar film, Talk to Her (Hable con ella). In a strange way I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since. It's completely...there has to be a better, less overused word than "hooky" or "ear worm." Or "hypnotic" and "haunting." Let's just say it won't leave my head. I listened to it again this week and it has provided the psychic soundtrack for 4-5 days now. Interesting, too, for as this gringa granda understands from my friend, this is a kind of macho mariachi song, usually sung not so wistfully, like this mexicanidol-y version. Anyhow, you know, delish. What I don't know about Latin music could fill stadiums, although 15 years in Rogers Park guaranteed that I will hear the German-sounding bottom of Tejano in my dreams for a long time...

No comments: