Monday, December 11, 2006

trashy mish-mash

1. Another media crush: Sean Astin. His voiceovers on "Meerkat Manor" make him very appealing! Why on earth is that?

2. If you haven't, you must try these cookies, Bahlsen Truffets. They have a little cocoa meringue as a base, cream on top, covered in choccy, with little sprinkles. They are just...devastating! And go very fast. Fantastische texture.

3. I know why I was meandering on for pages about Grey Gardens and "The Girls Next Door" the other day. I got close but didn't say it, which is: they ARE the same show. I was watching one of Hef's girlfriends totter bizarrely around the mansion grounds on her way to a dog birthday party and thought...oh yeah. Right. Same thing.

4. Out of a strong need for sweet yellowy vanilla cake, I made Rombauer's One-Egg Cake out of the Toy tonight. Not bad! Not bad 'tall. My life as a lactose-intolerant has gotten much easier with the arrival of rice milk in those little juice-box sizes. Can indulge in the occasional spot of baking without a lot of don't-have-milkangst (milk often an ingredient).

5. Those of us obsessed with Torvill & Dean were thrilled to notice a competition-filmed version of the Bach "Sarabande" they choreographed for Yo-Yo Ma on YouTube recently. Exciting because the arty-farty camerawork in the yoyoCD version makes it hard to even see what's going on. Really annoying though: the idiotic commentary over the heart-rending music! Sigh. I am working my way up to an enormous essay about my love of Torvill & Dean. It is going to be very complicated to explain.

6. Speaking of enormous ongoing internal essays, Doris Day obsession continues unabated and highlights YET another reason to move to the UK: they reallllly like Doris there. Many more movies on (pal) DVD that I've been looking for here recently and not finding...

7. I forgot that Clipse (reviewed in this week's R) is the group who did "Grindin'," which I always really liked in its funky spareness. New disc sounds good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean Astin is hotttness. It is so stupid that no one realizes that he is totally the hot guy next door. I wuv him.