Thursday, November 23, 2006

Your seats are a featherbed

Okay. When I was writin that rant about Thanksgiving media, the coda I left out was that for me, the one real Thanksgiving-related media phenom I know is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, because that movie was always on TV Thanksgiving afternoon, post-dinner, in my suburban DC youth. We only watched the first part, though, up to the part where they start flying.

But I turned on the TV tonight (ABC Family--a Disney channel) and...wham! Chitty Chitty B.B. But I don't know why. Was the Wonderful World of Disney the vehicle for it then when I was a kid? Or was it local? I don't remember, but it feels a little magical that it should be on now, only there's no way in the world the programming decisions were that fascinating, I'm sure. But still.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CCBB was one of those supposed children's films, like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and The Wizard of Oz, that had stuff in it that scared the living crap out of me. The whole child catcher thing was horrible. Mon dieu--it did not help that my mother made truly sadistic comments about this being a good fate for children, jailed and living in caves. Dick Van Dyke was one sexy may-un--this is has never ever been fully appreciated enough. I remember how they all feel asleep and then woke up surrounded by water--so many things that sensitive kids would freak on are in that film!

Elizabeth M. Tamny said...

See, that's the part of the movie *I never saw.* I just saw the beginning, so I fell in love with the contraptions and the car-makeover sequence. All the other stuff...pritty awful!

You're so right about DVD. My friend Kim had a huge crush on him too. All that, in the middle of a Disney film!!