Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Um,

I would never in a million years say I flat-out liked this movie, but I am starting to develop a relationship with it. Do you see what I mean? The relationship is primarily based on my part on interest in technical cinematic issues, as well as a love for movies set in conscribed locations (and how), not to mention a lifelong obsesion with the topic, not to mention an ancillary obsession with Gloria Stuart stemming from years of MFK Fisher obsession...but it exists, that's the point. I am hesitant to note this, even to bring it up, because in the end this could sound like or be unconvincing as anything other than an enormous steaming pile of rationalization, or even a kind of sam-n-diane thing (hah! thin line between love and hate, yo), but really--there are more parts of it I really actively dislike than parts I like. And some of the things I dislike are dealbreakers.

And yet, the point is: I watch it when it's on sometimes--often, parts of it. It's so strange (qv my endless meandering blog about how one consumes or half-absorbs media) the weird way we let movies (or whatever) in, make them our pets. I tend to Lenny them into overfamiliarity. I like to sniff along the seams of things. It's FUN. Can't help it. Once they dive in under the radar, that is. I mean...there's some crappy crappy stuff that gets in there. I read You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again once and was like oh! what a shittily written megalomaniacal piece of crap, but I've probably read it 30 times since. I don't know what you would call this behavior--the DSM probably has a term for it.

I will say this: there is only one word for K. Winslet's performance, after seeing the movie too much recently. CLAMMY.

No comments: