Thursday, November 30, 2006

Everybody's always talkin about the ka-chungggg chord that is Law & Order, how evocative it is, but I've become newly re-in love with the opening of the Six Feet Under theme, by which I mean that one very first chord. It's really brilliant, makes my head whip around when I hear it. It's driving me crazy that I don't have a piano I can use to figure it out what exactly it's composed of. My friend Jenn could do it in two secs in her head, but I need help. There's an octave in there, I think, and a minor second on top? And doubling of a note with another instrument over the piano? Plus the triangle? Even getting this far in parsing it out makes me think it's another one of those things--like many of the best things--that is deeply simple. I don't think it's got that many components. Figuring out the interval(s) is what's driving me nuts... Fun nuts.

No comments: