Tuesday, April 18, 2006

You know,

I think I'm really starting to hate the Lorelai character. I always just tolerated her, and used to think that disliking her was sort of inevitable/impossible, since she is so much the glue of the show--it's almost like I figured Amy Palatino didn't really like her either, they just had to keep her chattering to keep things going. And it's inevitable you'd dislike anybody who was onscreen that much.

But I was watching a rerun last night, the one in which we're supposed to hate Emily forever for bribing Chris to show up at her remarriage and make a play for Lorelai, and the way Lorelai behaved to Luke was just as horrid as Emily to anybody else. I really disliked her. She ("she"...right--not a real person) did things that made him just as uncomfortable as what Emily would do, only in a blithely blithe blithe-spirit blithely uncaring way. I wish she'd get called on it--tis most obnoxious. Emily does get called on it, and I like her.

This is my main problem with the show period, I spose, which is--Lorelai never seeming to understand that she can't outrun her past. Sometimes the writers don't even seem to think so, which is interesting because they write themselves into those situations anyhow. For instance, only a few times have they really come down on the fact that Lorelai running an inn in a perfectionistic way is only the slightest bit different from Emily running her house in her perfectionistic way--the life she's chosen isn't that different. And it doesn't quite fit with the pseudo-misanthropy. She's so emotionally stunted, Lorelai. Or maybe I'm responding to what the actors bring to the characters, which is just enough to tip Emily & Richard into charm, and L into obnoxiousness.

[Not to mention (for the 900th time), there are a lot of ways in which the name "Gilmore," as a family name for me, just doesn't have that correct ring...well, duh, why would it, but it's more that I just don't think that Scottish a name can be that preppy, can it? I dunno.]

Oh, I don't know, it's a delicate balance when they walk it, which is why the show's so good when it's good (I'll say it again--at the end of last season, they worked this issue to a fever pitch of triangulation with the Rory/Logan plot), but these days it feels all over the place. Sloppy. (Nothing But) Tedious Logorrheac Ramblings of a Young Mother, Studded With Cultural References That Make You Wince Not Oooh, Really, That Are Not in Fact the Glue, But the Stuff That Makes You Run Screaming and the Not Very Cute Small-Town Characters That Make You Wince too...shuddup, Liz. They really gotta decide what to do with her.

Cesar at the diner starting to be more of a character--I'll say this for Gilmore Girls, they LET THE FAT PEOPLE BE. An enormous part of my affection for the show is based on this fact, even though Miss Patty is the rapacious sex-starved lady of story and song and a little hard to take. But so's everybody else. Even Luke, but I feel a little about him the way I felt about John Lurie in high school. I just want to see him naked. It's very...elemental.

This is all a long way of saying that my ancient VCR is at home taping the "new" episode and I am preparing to be disappointed. We'll SEE.

Feel just a lil embarrassed (not fundamentally) about GG obsession. It's not quite as hilariously fun as the 90210 years, nope. But still.

My friend Martha's friend U. thinks Tavis Smiley likes the big girls. I'm not sure about that. Other celebrites in this maybe-likes-big-girls category (if you ask me): Jamie Foxx, Vin Diesel, Ben Affleck (he can run but he can't hide), Bill Jeffy Clinton (in his earlier wolfish EOE incarnation--not as a big girl fancier per se), somebody or other at the Sopranos, Luke Perry. I'd love to know who shows up at the back of big girl dances in the Valley with sunglasses. Heh.

No comments: